This debilitating disease is the leading cause of disability among adults over age 55. It often leads to joint replacement. Here are five steps from Dr. Victor Romano, author of “Finding the Source: Maximizing Your Results—With and Without Orthopaedic Surgery.”
- Wear good shoes with arch supports to reduce weight-bearing on feet and keep arches in place.
- Have a daily exercise and balance program. Arthritis sufferers who exercise have been shown to do better than those who don’t.
- Use a hinged-knee brace when needed for extra support. Wear the smallest brace that makes you the most comfortable.
- Eat nutritious food and keep your weight under control. This reduces stress on knees and increases mobility.
- Improve bone health with daily calcium intake. Take vitamin D and exercise.