Typically, a weight training injury can be prevented by a small tweak or adjustment to form. Take these simple steps during Pain Awareness Month to prevent muscle strain and/or injury when hitting the gym:
- Warm up your muscles before each workout.
- Recovery is crucial. Always get a good night’s rest after working out. When you need a rest day, look to “active rest” exercises like yoga to improve your body’s overall mobility.
- Stretching exercises reduce muscle soreness and improve muscle flexibility, making them less susceptible to injury.
- Know your body’s limitations. The intensity of your workouts should grow only as your body’s strength grows.
- Stay hydrated. Consuming liquids helps your body digest the nutrients it needs to repair muscle damage.