“I recently told a friend that I never imagined needing to use my mindful methods 10 times a day or more, but that is where I find myself,” says Julie Potiker, an attorney and mindful methods trainer. “And the silver lining of this extreme testing is that it works.”
Here are 12 mindful methods for staying calm amid chaos:
- Practice meditating. Pick a meditation that fits into your schedule every day.
- Ground yourself by using the soles of your feet for awareness.
- Practice mindfulness while brushing your teeth.
- Practice mindful eating.
- Practice mindful walking.
- Practice taking in the good.
- Practice letting music help you be in the moment. Make a playlist of songs that move you.
- Practice the receiving-sending meditation.
- Practice calling yourself “sweetheart” or another term of endearment.
- Practice loving kindness meditation for yourself and others.
- Write down a list of things that bring you joy. Try to do one or two of these activities daily.
- Begin a gratitude practice by either writing down a few things you are grateful for each day, writing down what you enjoyed each day, or writing a gratitude letter to someone each day.
*Used with permission.